2009, ML&P served an average of 24,139
residential customers and 6,264 commercial
ML&P also provides
all-requirements power to two military
bases. Approximately 83 percent of
ML&P’s retail revenue comes from
commercial accounts and military bases.
2009, ML&P sold 1,115,964 MWh to retail
electric customers. Retail sales totaled
$110,061,785. Sales to other utilities
(Chugach Electric Association and Golden
Valley Electric Association) for resale were
$8,522,078. Total electric operating revenue
for 2009 was $118,620,070.
ML&P is regulated by the Regulatory
Commission of Alaska (RCA) which is composed of five members appointed
to six-year staggered terms by the Governor and confirmed by the State
Legislature. RCA regulations encompass service area definition, tariff
rules and regulations, service quality criteria and establishment of
recurring rates and charges.
transmits and distributes electric power and has a one-third working
interest in the Beluga River Gas Field. ML&P operates seven
gas-fired turbines and one heat-recovery turbine.
Five of the turbines are equipped to use No. 2 fuel oil as
alternate fuel. ML&P also owns 53.33 percent of the Eklutna
Hydroelectric Power Plant.
Total Power Generated/Purchased in 2009
Lake 93,863 MWh
Total Generation Capacity in 2009: 333.2
- Plant 1 (4 turbines, 2 diesel)
- Plant 2 (4 turbines)
- Eklutna Power Plant (53.3%)
Peak Power in 2009:
-Underground cable 254 miles
-Overhead cable 131
25 miles transmission
* Pursuant to the
power sales agreement with the Alaska Energy Authority, ML&P is
required to purchase 25.9% of the output of the Bradley Lake Project,
which has 126 MW of installed capacity.
Municipal Light &
Power (ML&P) has seven operating divisions: Generation & Power
Management, Operations, Finance, Systems and Communications, Customer
Service, Engineering and Regulatory Affairs.
Managers for each of the divisions report directly to the
General Manager. Administrative
and public relations functions are
performed as part of the General Manager’s administration.
James A. Trent,
Richard E. Miller, Chief Financial Officer/Assistant General Manager
Regulatory Affairs Manager
Eugene Ori, Generation Manager (acting)
Customer Service Manager
Mio Johnson, Chief
Public Relations Manager
Victor Willis, Systems & Communications Manager
Patsy Gunn, Administration
ML&P had 248
employees as of December 31, 2009.
Of these employees, 178 were covered by a labor agreement with
the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW) and 70 were
non-represented (covered by municipal personnel rules).
Shake, Treasurer, Finance/Accounting
O. Gibbons ,
was a small tent city in the wilderness when
the Alaska Engineering Commission (AEC)
initiated electrical service in
in 1916. The City operated the electrical
distribution system under a lease agreement,
first with the AEC and later with the Alaska
This lease agreement continued until
1932 when the city bought the electrical
distribution system for $11,351.
small steam plant and diesel power
with electricity until 1929. That year, the
private Anchorage Power & Light Company
began supplying electricity from a
hydroelectric power plant on the
, 40 miles northeast of
1943, the city acquired the Eklutna Plant
from Anchorage Power & Light Company.
’s next major power source sailed into the
was a 10,000-ton T2 tanker that had broken
up in the
. The ship’s drive was electric, so
purchased it to generate electricity. From
1947 to 1955,
furnished 54 percent of the city’s power
1955, the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation
completed construction of a new larger plant
and the City contracted for 16,000 kilowatts
(kW) of generating capacity from that plant.
At the same time, “Little” Eklutna was
transferred to the federal government.
1962 and 1984, ML&P installed seven
turbine generating units fired by natural
gas and one heat recovery steam turbine
Five of the seven turbines have
dual-fuel capability, which enhances
ML&P’s reliability in the event of
disruption of the natural gas transportation
In addition to its two power plants,
ML&P operates 20 substations and is the
south-end controller of the
1996, ML&P, Chugach Electric Association
and Matanuska Electric Association jointly
took over the Eklutna Hydroelectric Power
Plant. Later that year, ML&P purchased a
one-third working interest in the Beluga
River Gas Field, which establishes a
guaranteed fuel supply and helps to
stabilize fuel prices until about 2017.